For those late night chocolate cravings…
The late night munchies. We’ve all been there. But when my sweet tooth hits—more like when my chocolate tooth hits—I don’t want to make a whole batch of cookies or brownies, let alone wait for them bake. I want a single serving, and I want it fast! Ever since microwave mug cakes took off on social media, I’ve been playing around with my recipe and trying new flavors almost every week. I’ve finally nailed it. A basic chocolate mug cake is delicious by itself, but when I add a gooey chocolate-y center, it takes it to a whole new level. In particular, I’m talking about using my favorite chocolate cups from Edie’s Sweets!
My friend, Edith, co-founded Edie’s Sweets to put a spin on the classic chocolate peanut butter cup. I’m using my favorite flavor: Dark Chocolate Black Sesame Cup. The black sesame adds a fun twist to the typical chocolate cake, and I’m all for it. Plus, all Edie’s Sweets are vegan, organic, and fair-trade!
So, next time the munchies hit, grab a mug and dig into this baby. It takes less than five minutes to make and absolutely hits the spot.
Prep Time: 2-3 minutes Cook Time: 1 minute Serves: 1 mug cake
- 1 Edie’s Sweets Dark Chocolate Black Sesame Cup (or 1 tbs. of your favorite chocolate)
- 2 tbs. oat flour (I ground rolled oats in a food processer until it forms a fine flour)
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. almond butter
- 2 tbs. unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp. coconut sugar (add another teaspoon if you have a sweeter tooth! Most of the sweetness in this cake will come from the chocolate cup)
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- In a mug, stir together oat flour, cocoa powder, almond butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt.
- Press Edie’s Sweets chocolate cup into the center of the mixture, pushing down until it is covered by the batter. The chocolate cup will add most of the sweetness to the cake, so if you’re substituting the chocolate cup with different chocolate, make sure it’s sweet enough or add extra coconut sugar.
- Microwave for 50 seconds. Let cool for 2-5 minutes before enjoying!
Get notified when I post a new recipe!