Not your average quarantine banana bread…
In case you didn’t make banana bread fifty times during quarantine, I have a new recipe for you. Meet classic banana bread’s younger, hotter sister: vegan, gluten-free FLUFFY banana bread. I was originally inspired by a recipe that my manager shared with me three years ago. I’ve tinkered around with the ingredients and measurements for years, but it never turned out just right until last year. I accidentally forgot to add the flax egg to my batter and boom. Game. Changer. No flax eggs = more fluffiness + more deliciousness.
The whole process is quick, easy, and so worth it.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40-50 minutes Serves: 8 slices
- 2 cups oat flour (I blend rolled oats in my food processor until it becomes a fine flour)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 small-medium bananas (ripe, brown, and smushy!)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (I don’t have a sweet tooth, so if you do, I would definitely double this!)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a fork until a mushy, somewhat runny, mixture forms—small clumps are okay! Mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture in increments. I add the dry mixture in three to four batches. Make sure to not overmix—try to keep it as airy and fluffy as possible.
- Line an 8-inch bread pan with parchment paper or grease the sides lightly with coconut oil.
- Spoon batter into pan (lick the leftovers from your spoon!) and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the banana bread cool before enjoying. The sweetness of the bananas really comes out once the bread has fully cooled.