Goodbye Chinese takeout, hello Asian turkey lettuce cups.
I first came up with this recipe about two and a half years ago, and it’s been a family favorite ever since. Asian food can get really greasy really fast, but these turkey lettuce cups are a wonderful exception. The tamari-almond butter sauce adds a nutty richness, balanced out by the crisp lettuce and fresh veggies. You are definitely going to want to try this one.
Also, this meal is great for sharing! Everyone can build their own lettuce cups, adding whichever toppings they want. You can mix up the toppings, too. Fresh squeezed lime and crushed peanuts can add a new depth of flavor!
Prep Time: 20-25 minutes Cook Time: 15-20 minutes Serves: 3-5 lettuce cups
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 small yellow onion
- 1/4 medium bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs. almond butter
- 2 tbs. tamari
- 1/4 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Lettuce Cups and Toppings
- 1 small head of green leaf lettuce
- Sliced carrots
- Sliced cucumber
- (Filling) Mince garlic, and dice the onion and bell pepper into small pieces.
- (Sauce) In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, tamari, ginger, honey, and red pepper flakes until a creamy mixture forms.
- Add garlic and onion to a medium non-stick pan over low heat. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and use a spatula to break into smaller chunks.
- Once the ground turkey begins to brown, add the bell pepper and sauce. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add the desired amount of filling and toppings into a lettuce leaf (“cup”). Enjoy!