Avocado Toast walked so Hummus Avocado Toast could run.
You’ve tasted avocado toast, avocado toast with egg, avocado toast with smoked salmon… Forget it all, because this hummus avocado toast just blew everything out of the water. On my recent tour of Europe, I sampled toasts from five different countries. Each had different things going for them–avocado mousse in Spain, seed bread in Italy, hummus toast in France–so I decided to pick out my favorite elements and combine them into one single toast. Enter: hummus avocado toast.
Let me paint a picture for your taste buds. You take your first bite, and as you bite into that crispy, toasted bread, the tangy, nutty hummus blasts you with flavor. That happens at the exact moment you get the fresh creaminess of avocado, earthy touch of cilantro, sweet burst of tomato, and subtle crunch of sunflower seeds.
The best part of this recipe is the ease of substituting and adjusting ingredients. Don’t have flax seeds? Swap for pumpkin seeds. Hate cilantro? Leave it out. Want more hummus? Heap on some more. Make it your own!
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes Serves: 2 toasts
- 2 slices of bread (I use Udi’s gluten-free Whole Grain Sandwich Bread)
- 2 tbs. hummus (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sunflower seeds (adjust to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. flax seeds (adjust to taste)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Optional: few sprigs of cilantro
- Toast bread. Slice avocado lengthwise into thin strips. Cut tomatoes in half.
- Spread 1 tbs. hummus onto each slice of toast, then place half the avocado slices onto each slice. Squeeze lemon juice on top and season with salt and pepper (to taste). Garnish with cilantro leaves, tomatoes, and seeds.