A red pepper and a tomato walk into a bar…
…and get baked (in the oven). When I’m craving pasta, I usually reach for a classic red sauce or pesto, but this recipe is a new favorite. The star ingredient? Roasted red pepper. It takes pasta sauce to a whole new level. And it’s CREAMY. The tahini adds a creamy taste and texture, without any of the dairy. I’ve literally been having this pasta every night, and I have no regrets.
Plus, this sauce is so easy to make. If you’re running around and don’t have time to stand over a stove and stir, this is the recipe for you. Toss the veggies in the oven, and get back to what you were doing. Then, blitz it all together in a blender and you’re done!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 1 cup sauce (3-4 pasta servings)
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 1 tbs. fresh basil, packed
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Slice the bell pepper in half, lengthwise. Remove the core and seeds. Separate the onion into its layers.
- Add bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, and garlic to a baking pan. Toss with 1-2 tsp. of olive oil.
- Bake the pepper, onion, tomatoes, and garlic for 30 minutes, or until the pepper and tomatoes are brown and blistering. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add roasted ingredients to a blender with tahini, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend into a creamy mixture.
- Enjoy over your favorite pasta!